Home > Ferry Street School
Ferry Street School
Opened In 1868 As African American School
Built in 1867 and costing almost $3000, the Ferry Street School open the following January as a school for African American children. The school closed two years later when the Niles school system was integrated and then reopened in 1873 as a school for all children no matter what race. After serving as a school until 1975, Niles citizens began restoring the ordinal building back to its 19th century style. One room schools back then typically contained wood burning stoves, wood boxes, water benches, coat pegs, wooden blackboards and long rows of desks.