Home > Second Baptist Church
A major stop on the Underground Railroad, the Second Baptist Church, organized in 1851 under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association by Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett, the original building was a log cabin erected on the corner of Sixth and Ferry Streets. In 1872, the building was moved to the northeast corner where the present church stands. The third church was built in 1950 and 21 years later a new sanctuary was added.