Home > Spring Creek School
About l844, the first schoolhouse in the immediate vicinity of Three Oaks was built at Spring Creek on the side of what was then known as the New Buffalo Road. Miss Elizabeth Chamberlain, daughter of Moses Chamberlain, taught that summer and was the first teacher of which there is any record.
The Spring Creek school was known for many years as the Cherry School, since the first building was made entirely of cherry wood. The log walls, the puncheon floor, the shades on the roof and the poles that held them in place, the split board door, and even the wooden hinges and the latch-all were cherry wood. The building was fourteen by eighteen feet, and was heated with the usual huge fireplace at one end.
The schoolhouse was the center of community life among the early settlers. Parties, spelling bees, political mass meetings, debates and church services were held at the Spring Creek School, and all were well attended. Sunday school services and prayer meetings were held regularly in every community, and church was called whenever a preacher could be obtained.
In 1938 came the consolidation of the schools of Three Oaks township and today the Spring Creek School House is owned and maintained by Three Oaks Township.