Home > Munro House Bed & Breakfast
In 1840, George Clinton Munro bought a Federal Style wood frame house on this property. Six years later he constructed the brick Greek Revival addition that is connected to the original house. This addition included a secret room which was used to hide runaway slaves for more than 15 years before the start of the Civil War. It's thought that the house harbored over 400 men, women and children as they made their way towards Canada and freedom, many of them spending at least one day here. The Munro Family lived in this house until 1945 when three elderly Munro sisters were evicted after ten years of non-payment of taxes.
© SWMPC | 376 West Main Street Suite 130 | Benton Harbor, MI 49022-3651 | 269.925.1137