Edwin R. Clark (1828-1900), who was a prosperous druggist and grocer in Coldwater, donated the money to build this marvelous library, which still stands grand since it was erected in 1886. Another Coldwater resident, Marcellus H. Parker, designed the brick Queen Anne style library's cross-gable-roof, corner towered. The cost was $10,000, a considerable amount of money back then. When the library opened Governor-elect Cyrus E. Luce was among many distinguished guests who were there. Mary A. Eddy, the librarian, was well known in her field and established the Michigan Library Association in 1891. The library is also known for it's large genealogy and research department.